Banana PancakesCourse: BreakfastDifficulty: Medium
These soft & fluffy pancakes are healthy, easy to make, and warmly spiced with cinnamon & nutmeg.
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
3 tablespoons water
½ cup mashed banana, about 1 large
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, more for brushing
¾ cup + 2 tablespoons milk, more if needed
1½ cup whole wheat flour
½ cup oat flour*
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon sea salt
Honey, banana slices, pecans, for serving
- In a large bowl, combine the flaxseed, water, and banana. Mash and stir until well combined. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Add the olive oil, and milk and whisk. Add the flour and sprinkle the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt evenly over the top. Stir until all the ingredients are combined, but the batter is still a bit lumpy. The batter will be a bit thick but if it’s too thick to scoop, stir in an additional 1 tablespoon milk.
- Heat a nonstick skillet or griddle to medium heat. Brush the skillet with a little olive oil and use a cup to pour the batter onto the pan. Use the back of the cup to gently spread the batter a little more. Cook the pancakes until bubbles appear, about 1½ minutes per side, turning the heat to low as needed so that the middles cook without burning the outsides.
- Serve with honey, sliced bananas, and pecans, if desired.
- How to Make Oats Flour — Place the oats in a food processor. Blend until the oats become a fine flour, stopping to stir occasionally. Use in any recipe that calls for oat flour. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.