- Basic Basil Pesto:
2 cups farm fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, more for a smoother pesto
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 small garlic clove
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup toasted Walnuts
- Variation: replace half the basil with:
1 cup chopped kale
1 cup cubed raw zucchini
1 roasted red pepper
1/2 cup kale stems, boil until soft
- In a food processor, combine the walnuts, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, and pulse until well chopped.
- Add the basil and pulse until combined.
- With the food processor running, drizzle in the olive oil and pulse until combined. Add the Parmesan cheese, if using, and pulse to briefly combine. For a smoother pesto, add more olive oil.
- To make it vegan replace Parmesan with some nutritional yeast.