Strawberry ShortcakeCourse: DessertDifficulty: Medium
This easy strawberry shortcake recipe is the perfect summer dessert. Tender, lemony cornmeal biscuits surround layers of strawberries and cream. To make this recipe dairy-free, replace the traditional whipped cream with coconut cream.
- Lemon Cornmeal Biscuits
2 cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup cornmeal
⅓ cup sugar
2½ teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoons sea salt
½ cup coconut oil, hardened and cut into small pieces. You can replace this with unsalted butter.
2 tablespoons lemon zest
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 eggs, beaten
¼ cup milk or almond milk, more for brushing
- for assembly
3 cups strawberries, sliced
2 cups whipped cream or coconut whipped cream
Mint leaves, optional
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Using your hands, work the coconut oil in until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, eggs, and milk and mix until just combined. The dough will be more moist and pliable than traditional biscuit dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured piece of parchment paper and pat into a ½-inch-thick rectangle. Fold the dough into thirds and pat or roll again until 1-inch thick. Freeze for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the dough from the freezer and use a 2½-inch round biscuit cutter to cut out 3 to 4 biscuits. Re-roll the scraps as necessary to cut out 8 1-inch thick biscuits. Place the biscuits on the baking sheet.
- If desired, brush the tops of the biscuits with a little milk and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake 16 to 18 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.
- Assemble the strawberry shortcakes with the biscuits, strawberries, cream, and mint, if desired.
Strawberry Shortcake Recipe Variations
- Switch the fruit. Strawberry shortcake is a classic dessert, but this lemon biscuit recipe would taste just as good with blueberries. Use them in place of the strawberries, or, for a festive variation, fill the biscuits with a mix of strawberries and blueberries!
- Use your favorite kind of cream. Make traditional whipped cream with heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla extract, or serve your shortcake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. For a lighter variation, replace the cream with a dollop of Greek yogurt.
- Keep it simple. These lemon cornmeal biscuits make fantastic strawberry shortcake, but they’re also wonderful on their own! Feel free to skip the fruity filling altogether and enjoy the biscuits plain, or slather them with your favorite jam for a light breakfast or afternoon snack.